The bad news is that things have changed....delayed. The water was turned on on Wednesday, and the carpet was laid on Wednesday, not on Saturday as I last reported. We drove by on Saturday and saw all the carpet laying outside in the parking lot. The workers were using a little bobcat to smooth out soil.
When we got to Church this morning, my dad was telling me a story. I didn't believe him because he tells stories to get a rise out of me, and I was NOT buying into this one. Then the announcement came over the pulpit by President Powell. My dad's story was not at all an embellishment. I nearly cried. The story goes like this:
The water was turned on in the building on Wednesday, and carpet was laid. Work was continuing as usual. The General Contractor woke in the middle of the night, went to check on the building, and everything was fine. Thursday morning, when workers arrived, water was coming out of every door. :( I don't know what has happened, if a water main broke, froze or was not hooked up completely, but it was really bad. The font was only a foot or two full, as far as I can remember Sister Powell telling me, but it was because all the drains in the building (bathrooms, font, kitchen, custodial closet) were working over time, but were not able to keep up with the water flow.
Damage: Reportedly, the sisal has been removed from the walls now. Fans are blowing trying to dry things out. Sheet rock will have to be removed. I am not sure if it is from chair rail down or all of it. It depends on whether it wicked all the way up or not.
Someone said to me when we heard this was that God was punishing us, but it is Satan who doesn't want our building.
So, as it stands, work is continuing on. This is but a small set back. Disappointing for sure, but at least it wasn't a fire. :O)
Looking at the pictures, the trash is full of debris left over from the flooding, and the carpet still sits out in the parking lot. It will be replaced as well as the sisal (sisal is sort of a jute twine carpet that is used for walls). Another big plus is that there is NO furnishings in the building that could have been destroyed, although I wonder about the lower kitchen cabinets.
Work will continue, and even though this is a wound to the building, we will still have our beautiful building to meet in soon!
The trash over-floweth.






How sad! :(
ReplyDelete